Thursday, June 11, 2009

Package From India



Surprise in the mail: a package from India. And the contents were definitely not what I expected.
My brother spent 6 months in the Chabad house in Rishikesh trapping Israeli backpackers into the bosom of Judaism. So you can imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found inside, instead of Hassidic propaganda, the sweetest letter (in English so Tamya can understand!) AND the most thoughtful and sweet little gifts for Tamya and I: spices (one of which really hard to find and I only than recalled that I did ask him to see if he can find it in India), Assam tea in a silk bag, turquoise beaded necklace, handmade paper notebooks wrapped in silk paper and some medicinally fragrant creams, ointments including Neem & Turmeric soap.

And now a little guessing game for you: guess what the spices are (there are only 2 of them and both are shown in the picture!) and you will receive a roll-on perfume of your choice that includes either of those notes from my collection - which is why I can't reveal the prize just as yet...!
Winner will be announced Friday June 19th.

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

At June 12, 2009 7:50 PM, Blogger Juan Garcia said...

Heyy I think I have an idea on what those are!
Star anise and Cardamon ?
Chai tea ingredients ;0

 
At June 12, 2009 8:49 PM, Blogger HJ said...

Hi Ayala! I'd love to have a guess at the spices!! Do you want the answers here in the comments or on email?
Warm regards
Holly

 
At June 12, 2009 8:55 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Holly, Juan -
Thanks for visiting!
Yes, please comment here with your guesses.
I'm posting a larger image so you will have a better view of the spices...

 
At June 13, 2009 2:56 AM, Blogger jessica said...

Hi Ayala! One for sure is cardamom and the other looks like either hibiscus or rose petals... although the colour isn't quite right.... hmmm well that's one out of 2 anyway! Love from Grasse!
-Jessica

 
At June 13, 2009 3:24 AM, Blogger HJ said...

Hi again Ayala,

My guess is Cardamom pods and Mace!

Hope your well,
Holly

 
At June 13, 2009 6:51 AM, Blogger Mark Evans said...

Hi Ayala,

Exciting package!
I would say green cardamom pods and mace are the two spices.
Crush a couple of the cardamom pods a little and float them in your coffee!

Mark

 
At June 13, 2009 11:30 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Keep them coming, folks!
I will make announce the spices and make a draw from all the readers that answered correctly next Friday, June 19th.

 
At June 13, 2009 2:27 PM, Blogger Felicia Shenker said...

I too would like to guess Cardamom and Mace... I love cardamom in perfume especially....

Felicia

 
At June 13, 2009 9:55 PM, Anonymous Trish said...

What a fabulous package! I'm guessing cardamom and rose petals.

What a fun game :-)

PS: Did you get my email about when I will be in Vancouver?

 
At June 13, 2009 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they just have to be cardamon and mace - look like what i have in the pantry thanks for a really nice giveaway sharon mason

 
At June 13, 2009 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ayala, I think it is cardamon and ginger..what a nice package!!!! Take care, Jen

 
At June 15, 2009 6:28 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Ayala,

What a lovely packet! I believe the spices are green cardamom pods and mace (the fine lacy part that surrounds the nutmeg).

Thank you for offering the drawing!

Best Wishes,

Julie Herzog

 
At June 15, 2009 3:29 PM, Anonymous Trish said...

Ayala,

I guessed Cardamom and Rose Petals a few days ago, but don't see my post.....did you get it?

~Trish

 
At June 18, 2009 3:10 AM, Anonymous YUZU said...

Cardamome and mace, for sure !

I love both.

 
At June 18, 2009 3:13 AM, Anonymous YUZU said...

Cardamom and mace, for sure !

I love both and usually buy them in India (mace can't be found in France and cardamom is not of a so high quality).

 
At June 18, 2009 11:42 AM, Anonymous Soon-Lye said...

Hi Ayala,

I enjoyed reading your blog especially on your trip to Grasse france. Thanks for sharing.

The packet from India:
The names of the 2 spices:

1) Cardamom
2) galangal(sliced)

From Soon-Lye TEO
Singapore
email: snlye.teo@gmail.com

 
At June 18, 2009 11:43 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

OK folks, one more day to guess and the draw among those that answered correctly will take place tomorrow!

 
At June 23, 2009 3:05 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Ayala,

I'm itching to know... did you get a chance to have the drawing for the winner yet?

Best Wishes,

Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home