Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Narciso Rodriguez Breakdown...


Red Calla Lily, originally uploaded by Ayala Moriel.

I spotted this interesting Narciso Rodriguez display at The Bay downtown Vancouver this Friday. It took me a while to find it, as I was distracted by Sascha Luki's stunning floral arrangement accompanying the display, including calla lilies in both red and white, some of which were drowned in the vase rather the float above it...


The breakdown of three accords present in Narciso Rodriguez pour elle can be seen in the photo below. These three vials were (from left to right) are:

Coeur de Musc (musk heart) which is mostly musk and musk and more musk - the most clear, clean, persistent musk note, just like the one which makes the "her musc oil" in the black bottle.

Bois Tactile (tactile woods), which smelled like a synthesized vetiver, very clean and earthy-musky. This is what makes Narciso Rodriguez be part of the modern imitation Chypre family, AKA "Pink Chypre".

Lumiere d'Ambre & Vanille, which smelled like it sounded, amber and vanilla - though not quite what I would call "luminous". It might explain the slight sweetness of the scent once it dries on the skin, though I must admit the other two accords are far more persistent and are what makes this scent what it is.

There was no representation of the florl aspect of Narciso Rodriguez - consisting mostly of a very abstract, synthetic orange blossom and supposedly also other notes which I can't quite point my finger at (i.e.: osmanthus) or compare to the true flower which I've never smelled (honey flower).

Nevertheless, this was a very interesting experience smelling them all separately. I have to admit I prefer the compete creation, with fake flowers and all.


Narciso Rodriguez Breakdown, originally uploaded by Ayala Moriel.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 16, 2007 1:10 AM, Blogger helg said...

This is extremely interesting, thanks for this.

It seems that Narciso is destined to be a classic of sorts in the upcoming years and personally I wouldn't object to it being considered so.
I find it very wearable, quite elegant, smooth and sexy in a non-vulgar way and it always elicits a smile from me and compliments from others.
For something so synthetic it has triumped against odds.

 
At July 17, 2007 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be pretty darn disapointing if the finished work wasn't better than some of it's isolated accords.And I think it's really cool that they are making an attempt at educating consumer noses.

BTW- Those are not callas, they are anthuriums.

 
At July 17, 2007 10:55 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Helg, I agree that Narciso Rodriguez has a very high chance of becoming a modern classic. I'm surprised how much I like it, despite the little to none naturals it involves (even the vetiver there doesn't smell quite real, the orange blossom isn't either).
Somehow, I find it comforting and centering in a very chic, subtly sensual way.

 
At July 17, 2007 11:04 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Anonymous, you are absolutely right: a perfume should be more than the sum of all parts. But it's not always the case. In this case though, I am pretty sure that if there was a floral accord provided, it would pretty much cover it all...

I'm pretty sure you are right about them not being calla lilies but anthuriums. The floral designer, Sascha, mentioned their name but it completely vanished from my mind. I might just need to call and ask him again... From what I understand they are from the same family, Araceae.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home